Saturday, August 26, 2006

Shalom To My Home
I began my journey on August 23rd at South Bend airport where I met Joel (the other Bethel student with me) and we took a bus (United Limo) to O’Hare. We were approximately an hour away from the airport when the bus driver pulled over and informed us that the brakes were over heating (deja vu of junior high summer camp 2003). So, we waited an hour or so for another bus to arrive (déjà vu Togo 2004), but we still had plenty of time to make our flight. The flight from Chicago to Istanbul, Turkey was long and boring. I think they purposely make it physically impossible to sleep on airplanes. Some sort of conspiracy I’m sure. I tried every position imaginable and had no luck. Our layover at Istanbul was minimal and the 1.5 hour flight flew by.

I arrived here in Jerusalem on the 24th. The Tel Aviv airport in Israel was the nicest I’ve been to. They had a waterfall in the middle of the airport. It was a beautiful way to enter into Israel. Joel and I took a sherute (taxi) to the Old City and then another one to the JUC campus. We got to campus and unpacked our stuff (which took a whopping 15min) and then we roamed the streets with a grad student here named Russ. He’s been here since June doing an archeological dig, so he knows the area a little bit. My first dinning experience in Jerusalem, Israel was at Burger King believe it or not (dad I know you’re proud…sis I know you’re disappointed). I got some shekels from the ATM on the way back and when we got back to JUC Joel and I crashed.

Starting yesterday at sunset was the beginning of my first Shabbat (Jewish Sabbath) here in Israel and will end at sunset this evening. Yesterday evening I was out roaming the streets and enjoyed watching all the Jews walking towards their synagogues in their respectful Shabbat garb (I fail to know all of the technical names for all that they were wearing…lots of black).
Today began orientation. We met with our advisors and since I was the first student to meet with my advisor, I have a little break. Later today we are going to have a tour of the campus (this place is a maze!) and then have a walk through the Old City so we know where our local conveniences are. Until then…peace in the Middle East…

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Glad to here that you guys made it there safely