Saturday, September 02, 2006

Holes
Having grown up watching the Indiana Jones trilogy with my pops, one can imagine that being in this area sparks my sense of adventure. Well, one afternoon after frying my brain with studying I decided I wanted to go out and do something. So, I asked around and found out that two of the guys here have a "to do" and "to see" list while they are in Israel. I asked them if they minded me tagging along and they were up for it. Chad and Jeremy are from Canada and they are rather proud of it. Lots of "eh"'s and unique ways of pronouncing "out" and "about".

These two Canadians showed me a whole new side of Jerusalem...

I put on my hiking shoes and grabbed my camera and we began to walk east off the main path and right up against the wall. We're talking and whatnot and as I observe these Canadians, they begin to act as if they are looking for something. We're climbing over rocks jumping over deeps gaps and they are looking all over the ground. What are they looking for I keep asking myself. Then they stopped and I saw what they were looking for...

Holes.

Deep holes...

They found a hole that was about 15ft deep and shined their flashlights inside only to find out that the hole lead to a tunnel. All we had where two belts to tie together, so we decided to hold off on the entering of this hole until we could purchase some rope. So, we continued walking east until we came upon some ancient building. Now, keep in mind that the Canadians had already been to this area, but I had not. While I was studying rabbinic thought and literature they were out looking for the Holy Grail and the Ark of the Covenant.

Fun guys.

As we get closer to the building and I notice a hole about 15ft from the ground. Up until this point it had only been the two of them, but since I came we were able to accomplish a task that they had been dreaming of. Jeremy rock climbed up part of the building and we lifted his feet as much as possible until he got to the hole and then he pulled himself in. There was no door to the building, just some holes.

Then it was my turn.

I did the same until I could reach Jeremy's hand and then he pulled me in and then I pulled Chad in (Brad, Splintercell truly is beneficial). We get into this hole and the building is filled in with gravel, but the Canadians are looking around and to their pleasure they find something...

another hole.

This hole goes up into the top of the building. In order to get up there you have to climb up these big stones and squeeze thru these tight gaps. This took us up about another 15ft until we were at the top of the roof. In the word of David Lunsford, the entire experience was "rad".

When we got back to JUC the Canadians told this guy at school named Matthew and he failed to believe them. He said he'd buy us pizza if it was true. Sucka. These pictures are from the second time we went up into the building and we took some more guys with us this time. Matthew accidentally left his hat in the building so, I guess we'll just have to climb up in there again sometime.

As we were meandering our way back we started walking thru some tombs beside the Mount of Olives. Now, keep in mind that the landscape here is very rocking and these tombs are built on the side on the Kedron Valley which connects to the Hinnom Valley. So, we are walking in the valley and one of the Canadians looks up on the rocky cliff side and sees what he craves for...

another hole.

This hole is only accessible from the top of the cliff by being lowered down 15ft and stopping on the two foot landing at the base of the whole. Now, keep in mind that this hole is on the side of a small cliff. So, we looked at each other and official decided that when Shabbat is over with...

...we're going to buy some rope.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your adventurous post! you seem to be writing more than I had expected, so I will check in more often! I miss seeing you around, but it seems like you are having more fun in Jerusalem than here...so I'm happy for you. :) Have a great week!