Saturday, October 28, 2006

These Are a Few of My Favorite Things
A few of the many things I adore about Jerusalem
The context that I’m in
Reading a story in the Bible and being in the same valley, hill, mountain, river, city, sea, or plain that the story occurred in.

The mountains
Whenever I go hiking on a mountain here I always feel like I’m in Lord of the Rings. Often there are steep cliffs, deep wadis, and very unique stairs.

The amazing hiking trails
The parks here have trails through springs, waterfalls, mountains that take me through a land that makes me realize that I’m not in Kansas anymore.

Rabbi Moshe
My professor for my Rabbinical Thought and Literature. I have learned so much from this man about Jewish thought, the Torah, Midrash, and about God in and outside of class.

Moshe and Dov
Any question I have about Jewish theology these guys will gladly answer. Plus their passion and love for God challenges and encourages me. Check out there website for any of your Israeli needs www.shorashim.com

The Sea of Galilee
There is such an amazing presence at this place. Some of my favorite Bible stories happened here.

The Hebrew Language
It is so much fun to read, speak, and listen to.

Shabbat Dinners
Every Friday night we all get dressed up and sit down to a wonderful meal together. The ladies light candles, Dr. Wright gives a blessing, we sing Hebrew songs, have amazing bread, and just chat it up.

Raed’s cooking
If it wasn’t for this man’s dinners I would be a mental and physical wreck. It's always so nice to know that every evening I'm going to have a nice, hot, delicious meal.

Shekels in my pocket
Whenever I stick my hands in my pocket and feel shekels, I am taken back with the realization of where I’m at.

The variation of the topography
In Indiana we have corn, flat land, and corn. It’s not bad, but it is nice to being able to see hills, valleys, mountains, canyons, wadis, plains, seas, and rivers.

Playing baseball in hell
I lived right beside the Hinnom Valley which is what Jesus is referring to in the New Testament when He speaks of hell. So, whenever I play baseball, frisbee, or just walk by it I stand amazed of the significance of where I’m at.

Being able to let my heart run wild
There are so many fun holes, tombs, and caves to crawl around in here. Often when I am on a Crusader wall I’ll pretend I’m a solider and shoot at the enemy with my imaginary bow and arrow. Also, there are so many trees, columns, and structures to climb here.

No comments: